Profile chart - colors depending on the gas mix ?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
gorcio

Profile chart - colors depending on the gas mix ?

Post by gorcio »

Hi,

would it be possible to have different colors of the profile curve depending on the mix, just like displayed by OSTC in it's logbook ? I know, that there is a separate small graph below , which could show gas changes, but I would appreciate if the colors were represented with a small legend.

Thanks a lot,
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Profile chart - colors depending on the gas mix ?

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll see if I can implement that. Even though I'm not sure if different colors will be really helpful. As you say, a legend is required to see the actual mixture, and that takes a lot of space and may cover the profile. During warnings the profile is already in red color, so that might cause confusion, too. And there are other features planned that have to be integrated into the main profile, so it might be too much in the end.

Kind regards,
Sven
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

Actually You do not need a legend, since You can display it in the third graph that could serve as a legend itself.
Or, as an alternative, could the gas switch points be either customizable with a user-selected color, or be made more distinct from the curve ? Maybe with a small overlay text stating from which to which mix the change has been done ? Just like it happens on mouse over ...
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

The gas switch points in the main profile have already an overlay, just hover with your mouse over the point and you'll see it.

Kind regards,
Sven

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that you've already known that. Displaying all overlays all time didn't worked well during my testing. They may overlap when switches are very close and you can't read all of them and it looked very cluttered. I've tested a lot of different things with a lot of sample dive data I got from users and there are a lot of scenarious to consider so it looks nice for all kind of dives. But I'll see if it can be improved.

MeRodent

Post by MeRodent »

On the subject of gas changes. Is it possible for the red marker line to be extended across all Profiles.
For example I have a transmitter on my main tank so changing to my bailout or a second tank is easier to identify by tank pressure change than depth.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, that should be no problem.
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

Maybe allow me to explain my point of view. I am aware of the gas mixes shown in the chart at the bottom, however, I wish my main profile graph was as useful as possible. Hence I would like to have either different colors of the graph OR nicely marked gas switch points. Maybe at least the color of big gas switch point could be changed from grey to something more distinct and immediately visible on the chart.

But the Divinglog software is already very good and I am very happy with. It is just an improvement suggestion :-)
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

Just to ping on the subject. Any news on Your side on coloring or marking gas switches readable on the spot ?

If You are considered that overlays could be too close and may overlap - You could maybe put them on the side of the chart, and just point arrows/lines to the switch points ? Also, could You make switch points different color than gray ? Something that really stands out (but not RED, as it stands for danger). Please, please, please.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've uploaded an update where you can display the gas switch labels all time. Extract the zip file into the Diving Log program folder. Then you can enable the gas switch labels:
Logbook42.png
Logbook42.png (118.18 KiB) Viewed 14377 times
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

Thanks a lot Sven. I really appreciate it. Now ... maybe some profile colors please :-).
Your fix works pretty nicely though.
khodj

Post by khodj »

Sven,

This is an excellent addition - thank you! Marking gas switches on the depth curve makes a lot of sense. For example, now gas switches are clearly visible when you print the log. Further, warning lines (e.g., deco info) can be displayed concurrently with the depth profile. This is really a great feature!

Alexey
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

I concur to Alexey. Great job.
But I would still like to ask for a multi-color profile curve :-). Just like OSTC displays :-)

Sven, please please please ...
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

At the moment I unfortunately won't have time to work on that, as there are a lot of other features to work on, sorry. :cry:
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

Ping :-). Just checking if there is a chance to come back to the subject.
gorcio

Post by gorcio »

A small reminder from happy customer. To make me even happier (a probably other divers too ;-) )