How do I sort a report?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
scubal

How do I sort a report?

Post by scubal »

Ok
I have been using DL for years but just decided I need to customise the equipment report.
I want to add serial No to the table and sort by manufacturer.
I have spent an hour on it so far :(
Added the serial number field without problems but cant find out where you set the sort order.
I have been working in IT for 20 years and yes I have read the manual(!) - but I cant find out where the data sort order is set.
Its got to be simple?
Can you point me in the right direction?
Ta.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: How do I sort a report?

Post by divinglog »

Hi

The sort order is done in the application code, so there is currently no way to sort by manufacturer. The default sort order is alphabetically by product, which can be reversed in the print dialog. But sorting by manufacturer would have to be implemented in the application code.
scubal

Post by scubal »

Hmm thats a shame.
Thanks for the reply- at least I wont waste any more time looking for the solution!
Sorting by any column in the report would be a great feature to add in future versions if its at all possible?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I don't think it's possible directly in the report designer, which is a 3rd party component. The data is provided by Diving Log and the print/report function prints the data row by row. The sort order would have to be implemented directly in Diving Log.
scubal

Post by scubal »

Of course a work-around - as I have office365 including Access - is simply to use the Access report writer against the DL tables. Seems to work well :)