Photos not showing up when printing

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
BarbaraR

Photos not showing up when printing

Post by BarbaraR »

I've been using DivingLog for a couple of years now, it's fantastic! But lately I've run into a problem that I can't figure out.

I've created my own print report, which includes photos if any have been attached to the dive. It has worked very well in the past, but recently some of the photos are not showing up in the report designer or print preview. I've used the "LogPicture1", "LogPicture2", etc. variables to place photos on the print report. The photos all appear in the logbook view, and in the photo manager. But only some of them appear in the print report, even though in the designer layout preview the "LogPicture#" fields are all present.

The really strange thing is that I have successfully printed logs with these same photos in the past, but now when I go back to print preview the old dives, some of the photos are not showing up. This is happening when I use DL5.0 and DL6.0. I can't figure out what is different between the photos that do appear and the ones that don't. They are all in the same directory. I have double checked the file paths in the photo manager, and all of the photos appear when I view the logbook, so I am not sure what is happening.

Is a size limit on the photo files? Although that was not an issue in the past since they all printed successfully.
Are the photos added to dives somehow no longer being associated with the LogPicture# variables like they once were?

I've attached some screenshots to help illustrate. This is a dive that I printed last year, and all photos appeared with no problems at that time. But when I access it today, this is what I see: logbook view with all photos present, print layout showing all of the picture fields at the bottom (but only one photo appearing), and the print preview with only one photo showing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Attachments
Logbook showing all photos
Logbook showing all photos
logbook.jpg (483.73 KiB) Viewed 6543 times
Layout showing LogPicture# fields (blank)
Layout showing LogPicture# fields (blank)
layout.jpg (433.77 KiB) Viewed 6543 times
Print preview showing only one photo
Print preview showing only one photo
print preview.jpg (452.45 KiB) Viewed 6543 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Photos not showing up when printing

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Can you send me the 4 pictures from your screenshots and also your print report file to info (at) divinglog.de? I will see if I can find something.

Kind regards,
Sven
BarbaraR

Post by BarbaraR »

Sent, thank you!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Barbara

It doesn't work for me either and starting the print preview even almost hangs Diving Log. I've noticed that these images are really huge (15 - 17 MB for a JPG file). Saving the images with a graphic editor reduces the file size to 3 - 4 MB, but even then it didn't work for me.

I could get it working by selecting "Microsoft Print to PDF" as printer and then print directly into a PDF file (without preview). The PDF file contains all images and then I could print the PDF file.

Your report file is defenitely not the problem, I guess the print engine cannot handle either the image resolution or file size. But even the smaller file size caused problems, so I guess it might be the resolution.

The print engine is a 3rd party tool, which I have not updated for some time. Maybe it can handle the image files when I switch to a newer version, but for now the workaround with "Print to PDF" should do the trick.

Kind regards,
Sven
BarbaraR

Post by BarbaraR »

Thank you so much for looking into it and for the quick response! I also tried reducing the file size and didn't have luck with that. But I will definitely try the PDF workaround. Thanks again for a great product, too.

Best,
Barbara
Richard186

Post by Richard186 »

Hi I have a similar problem the photo prints but misses part of the photo cuts off teh bottom any idears
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

This is probably caused by the recent Windows 10 update issues:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows- ... lready-fix

You have to install the latest optional Windows 10 update manually from the settings app.

Kind regards,
Sven