Feature Request for Desktop and phone App

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
DavidJ

Feature Request for Desktop and phone App

Post by DavidJ »

Hello to everybody

As many users, I really like DL.. It is quite complete and very useful (and Sven's support has been fantastic!!)
I'm quite newby with this software, as I used to write down everything on paper... but I've definitevly changed to DL

However, there are a couple or three items that I think it could be useful... (or at least I have not foun them on the app not in the forum; so apologies in case that these items are already mentioned)

1. Photos. As far as I have seen; currently we can add photos from a local address. However, many of us keep photos on the web (google photos, amazon prime, etc...). Is there any plans to allow link web photos instead of having them locally in the PC??

2. SAC. DL shows average SAC for each dive. But it could be useful to see continuous SAC during the dive (calculated) to check against our feelings of the dive. Same as Suunto DM5 does.... It would be great if it is implemented

3. Country/city/Diving places in phone app (I know android App)... DL for Android has 3 "buttons" on the loogbok tab: Country, city/island and Diving place... and this information is not linked: a diving place should be linked to a city and a city to a country. Byh this way it would be easy to find all the diving places that belong to an especific city (for example if you are filling the logbook while the "deco-beers")
I'm new but in my first trials I already have 5 countries, 12 cities and about 40 diving places.... and I have lost track of wich diving place belongs to each city...
Is it possible to implement a system that links a diving place to a city and a city to a Country?? and also search/filters can be done on citys, countries or diving places???
I'm not sure if I'm explained well, because this could be a little bit confuse...

Thank you very much

best regards
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request for Desktop and phone App

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like Diving Log! Thank you also for the feedback!
DavidJ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 19:33 1. Photos. As far as I have seen; currently we can add photos from a local address. However, many of us keep photos on the web (google photos, amazon prime, etc...). Is there any plans to allow link web photos instead of having them locally in the PC??
I have to think about that, but there might be performance issues when the photos are loaded every time you view a dive. If the photos are cached, there is not much advantage to have online photos. I think it might make more sense to have the photos in Dropbox, OneDrive or other cloud storages and link them from the offline folder to the dives. That way you have the best of both worlds.
DavidJ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 19:33 2. SAC. DL shows average SAC for each dive. But it could be useful to see continuous SAC during the dive (calculated) to check against our feelings of the dive. Same as Suunto DM5 does.... It would be great if it is implemented
Yes, this is planned.
DavidJ wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 19:33 3. Country/city/Diving places in phone app (I know android App)... DL for Android has 3 "buttons" on the loogbok tab: Country, city/island and Diving place... and this information is not linked: a diving place should be linked to a city and a city to a country.
Yes, this suggestion is often requested and I've thought about that a lot. The problem is there are edge cases where this fixed linking does not work. For example, you can access a dive site from different cities or islands or theoretically even different countries. A city/island is always linked to a fixed country, but for dive sites it is more complicated.

So up to now I've not implemented such a fixed dependency. Instead there is soft linking based on your previous dives (in the PC version). When all 3 fields are empty and you select a dive site, country and city is automatically filled if you've used the dive site before.

Maybe I'll add an optional linking in the future, but this is actually more complicated than it looks like. For example what should happen when a linked combination is selected, but the user changes the country or city. Should these fields are disabled in this case? There are many things to think about.

Kind regards,
Sven
DavidJ

Re: Feature Request for Desktop and phone App

Post by DavidJ »

Hello Sven
Thank you for your explanations (and sorry for my late answer)

Related to your comments
divinglog wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 18:31 DavidJ escribió: ↑Mar Jul 09, 2019 21:33
1. Photos. As far as I have seen; currently we can add photos from a local address. However, many of us keep photos on the web (google photos, amazon prime, etc...). Is there any plans to allow link web photos instead of having them locally in the PC??
I have to think about that, but there might be performance issues when the photos are loaded every time you view a dive. If the photos are cached, there is not much advantage to have online photos. I think it might make more sense to have the photos in Dropbox, OneDrive or other cloud storages and link them from the offline folder to the dives. That way you have the best of both worlds.
I understand your concerns about performance issues. I'm not programmer and for sure I'm understimating the issues; but I was thinking that a remote call to the web photo service (url, etc...) would not load the system.. At any point, it may take some time (same if you load the pictures from the web explorer)... By this remote calls we could even see the pictures in the phone app because we do not need to store them in the internal memory)
(once again... I'm not an expert and I'm not aware of other issues that remote calls might produce)

divinglog wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 18:31 DavidJ escribió: ↑Mar Jul 09, 2019 21:33
2. SAC. DL shows average SAC for each dive. But it could be useful to see continuous SAC during the dive (calculated) to check against our feelings of the dive. Same as Suunto DM5 does.... It would be great if it is implemented
Yes, this is planned.
Thank you very much... I'm waiting or it!!
3. Country/city/Diving places in phone app (I know android App)... DL for Android has 3 "buttons" on the loogbok tab: Country, city/island and Diving place... and this information is not linked: a diving place should be linked to a city and a city to a country.
Yes, this suggestion is often requested and I've thought about that a lot. The problem is there are edge cases where this fixed linking does not work. For example, you can access a dive site from different cities or islands or theoretically even different countries. A city/island is always linked to a fixed country, but for dive sites it is more complicated.
It's true... I never though about that... I always thougt on it like a tree: One country may cointain or include several cities, and one city may contain several diving places. I never though in the posibility that one diving place can be accessed from 2 cities (as far as for me it is 2 different diving places with the same name and different or the same info). By this way, I always can filter all the diving places of a city... Or even, I can filter for all dives in a trip/vacation

Appart from that, there is no searching functionality on the phone app, as it is on the desktop version... If I want to know my gear (weights, etc..) in a cit or in a dive site... i have to navigate throught all dives to find what I'm looking for. It is much easier on the desktop , but when we are at the diving center and we want to look for some info, we do have the phone, not the PC

Don't get me wrong... It is great app... and I understand that all changes are not easy to apply to the code.
But IMHO, filtering and searching functionality is really interesting (if you have loads records, searching and filering is something almost neccesary)

Anyway... this is just to rate 12 over 10... :D
Thank you very much!!!!!!