Question Regarding "Gas Switched" in Dive Profile

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
ahrneely

Question Regarding "Gas Switched" in Dive Profile

Post by ahrneely »

Question number two:

I'm a recreational diver and do not use multiple gasses while on a dive (yet), so this field might not be important to me. However, on the "Profile" tab, there is a graph which displays "Gas Switches." For the majority of my dives, this displays correctly: either a solid bar of Air or Nitrox crossing the entire field.

However, for a handful of dives, the gas bar only fills a portion of the total. Air for the first ten minutes, for example, and then it's blank for the rest of the dive ... as if the rest of the dive was a freedive or I simply wasn't breathing. (I'm a merman!)

I'm certain I just don't have something clicked or I have some data entered incorrectly. I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this and can point me to a fix.

Thanks!
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Question Regarding "Gas Switched" in Dive Profile

Post by divinglog »

When you see this, there is a gas switch is in the profile data but the target tank was deleted (or it never existed), so this is not normal and indicate a "data issue". It can be easily fixed by clicking the "Reset Gas" button in the profile tab of the logbook toolbar (the red arrow should point one button above):

Image2.png
Image2.png (32.94 KiB) Viewed 2673 times

The TankID column shows the previous and next tank ID for this switch. But it is necessary to find out how this happened. Have you deleted additional tanks from the "Tank & Gas" window that were imported by the dive computer? If not, it might indicate an import problem. How were these dives created, manually, downloaded or imported?
ahrneely

Post by ahrneely »

All of the dives were imported from DiverLog+ by Pelagic Systems. The import process followed the on-screen instructions to link directly to the DiverLog+ database file.

After the imports were completed, there were a handful of changes that needed to be made to the data (such as location and max ppO2). However, the only changes I made to gas and tanks were in the "Tanks & Gas" section. Here I relabeled the tanks accordingly (Steel 100 or Aluminum 80 ... this data did not port over) and I corrected the working pressure of each tank. I did not adjust any gas switches.

However, I have noticed a pattern. The gas seems to "disappear" during any dive in which I was forced to surface for a moment before continuing the dive (during a training dive, for example). The gas type continues from the beginning of the dive and through the surface portion of the dive, but the moment I hit depth again, the gas "stops."

Here is a graphic for example:
trainingDive_01.PNG
trainingDive_01.PNG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
trainingDive_01.PNG
trainingDive_01.PNG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
While the dive profile may be horrible, this was my first open water check-out dive in which the instructor asked us to descend to a submerged platform. I ended up being the only person on the platform because one of the other students was struggling with gear. Rather than have the instructor believe I had disappeared (or worse, drowned), I returned to the surface to stick with the group. (Besides, the water temperature was 45° and I was in a wetsuit.)

Anyway, notice how the gas "stops" after I go back to depth.

Here is the profile data for the above graphic:
trainingDive_02.PNG
trainingDive_02.PNG (15.25 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
I do notice, as you have indicated, that the Gas ID number has changed mid-dive.

I'm not sure why this is. I'm using an Oceanic Pro Plus 4.0 dive computer which does have the capability of multiple gasses, but I've never needed to use that capability yet.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world for me right now. I'll just use your method of resetting the gas for my single-tank dives and keep an eye on this type of thing in the future.

For what it's worth, this hasn't happened for every dive in which I've been forced to surface. During a different training dive about a year later, we needed to surface and that data seems to be in tact.

Let me know if there is more data I can provide to help you troubleshoot if you need to, though, for my purposes you've answered my question.

Thanks!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you for the detailed description! Can you send me the DiverLog logbook file to info@divinglog.de that you've imported? I will check the import to see how this problem happens.