No ports showing up for Touch Downloader

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
castlegard

No ports showing up for Touch Downloader

Post by castlegard »

Hello,

Let me first start by saying how much I love Diving Log 6.0 and Touch. It is perfect!!

Except, I'm having problems using the downloader now. I'm reasonably certain I used Diving Log Touch and the Touch Downloader back in January. I'm using a Microsoft Surface running Windows 10 (switched out of S mode) and a Suunto D5 plugged in via USB.

When I plug the D5 in, I hear the windows chime and I was able to update the software using Suuntolink. So I know there's a good connection there and the D5 is talking to the PC.

So I opened Diving Log Touch and click on Download. The Manufacturer and Dive Computer boxes are populated with Suunto and D5 respectively, but the box for Port is blank and there's nothing in the drop down menu. At one point, I was able to install a Com 3 and Com 4 port using generic settings and the box was populated, but when I hit the Download button, the program crashed (it also crashes when I hit the Logbooks button).

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

With gratitude,
Steve
Attachments
Download Screen.jpg
Download Screen.jpg (177.2 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: No ports showing up for Touch Downloader

Post by divinglog »

Hi Steve

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like Diving Log! If the port list is empty, the interface driver is probably not installed correctly. Make sure the Suunto interface is listed in Windows device manager and shows a COM port. If not you have to install Suunto Dive Manager to get the necessary drivers.

Do you have Diving Log 6.0 installed? If so, you can also check the downloader there if it lists any COM ports.

Kind regards,
Sven
castlegard

Post by castlegard »

Hi Sven, thanks for the response. I uninstalled all the Suunto software and then reinstalled both Suunto DM5 which is the dive log and Suuntolink which is the software updater for the watch. The drivers were also reinstalled during the process. Lastly, I uninstalled Diving Log Touch and reinstalled it. Figured it couldn't hurt.

Everything on the Suunto side seems to work fine. When I plugged the watch in, I heard the Windows chime and Suuntolink popped up and checked for updates. Software is up to date. I downloaded the watch into DM5 and all is normal.

Diving Log 6.0 shows USB HID and BLE under connection and it also downloaded the watch.

But Diving Log Touch still shows no ports. Any other suggestions?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Oh, I just saw you're using the D5. That is a USB HID and Bluetooth LE only computer and does not have COM ports. Has the D5 worked before with the Touch Downloader? It hasn't been updated for quite some time and it is unfortunately a bit out of active development.

Diving Log Touch and the Touch Downloader are from the Windows 8 era and Microsoft did a lot of flip-flopping with their development tools recently, so the Windows 8 apps can't be updated to UWP (Windows 10) which has also no clear future. Most developers focus now on their desktop applications and stopped developing the store apps.

The only near term solution is using Diving Log 6.0 for downloading the D5, sorry :cry:

Sven
castlegard

Post by castlegard »

I just bought the D5 back in December. I went on a few dives to test it out and get comfortable with it in January. Those dives are in Diving Log Touch and I think I used the Touch Downloader to get them there, but I can't remember specifically. I may have just imported a DL7 file or something like that.

I'm gonna keep researching. Maybe there's a way to set up a virtual port and get the D5 talking through it.

In the meantime, Diving Log 6.0 is still a fantastic plan B. Please let me know if there's any update or solution for the Touch.

Thanks for the help,
Steve
castlegard

Post by castlegard »

Just a follow up...

There's a nice workaround that makes a lot of sense to me and it's really simple. Use the android app and sync it to the tablet. So after a day of diving, I just download the dives from my D5 to my phone and fill in all the details there. Then whenever I get home, I can sync it to my tablet for a better view. Now, not only can I use Diving Log Touch, but I also have a backup on my phone and on Dropbox.

Thanks again!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you for the follow up, I'm glad that this solution works for you!

Best regards,
Sven