Transition from Movescount & DM5

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
CWOLAW

Transition from Movescount & DM5

Post by CWOLAW »

Looking for some advice. My wife and I have Suunto Cobra dive computers and have used Movescount and DM5 for many years. With Suunto discontinuing development and support for Movescount and DM5, it's time for a e-divelog change since I'm not a fan of their new app based solution. I can no longer sync our dive computers with DM5 and capturing the data available from Movescount, they send you your data in .fit format, that doesn't appear to be importable.

I have all my data in both DM5 and sync'd with Movescount and can export that data in .SML or .SDE format. Unfortunately, my wife's data only exists in Movescount. Her Windows based Laptop died and her data only resides in Movescount and she transitioned to a Macbook Air laptop. I've been able to install DM5 on her Mac, but can't import her .fit files into it. The export that Suunto sends you of that Movescount data, is in .fit format, that I have found useless. I have contacted their customer support and asked for another format of the export. They haven't got back to me yet. And, you can't sync the data from Movescount into DM5. It seems to go only one way (DM5 to Movescount). I have a new Windows 10 Laptop and was able to backup my DM5 data from my old PC and restore it to DM5 on my new Windows 10 laptop without issue.

I have read with great interest the positive comments on Diving Log 6.0.

Based on our situation, Will Diving Log 6.0 work on my WIndows 10 PC and her Macbook (Divelog Manager or DivelogDT)? Will the Suunto USB Sync Cable work to transfer dives from our dive computers into either my Windows 10 and her Macbook computer? Is there an associated mobile app necessary to sync our data to our iPhones? (iPhone Dive Log developed by More Mobile Software - $14.00 in the apps store). Do I need any other software to achieve my end result? Can I import my wife's .fit files into Diving Log 6.0? Can I import my DM5 data from .XML or .SDE format into Diving Log 6.0?

Add to this, that my wife's cobra appears to have suffered a pressure sensor malfunction and it is currently at Suunto Utah for service/repair/replacement (they just got it yesterday, so not sure what will be done with it). I'm sure they will tell me it's not fixable and I need to replace it with a Cobra 3. I'm OK with that, as I believe the Cobra 3 sync interface is the same as the Cobra when it comes to connecting and syncing the data from the dive computer to a PC. I think she will find the Cobra 3 menus a little better to negotiate than her Cobra was.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Transition from Movescount & DM5

Post by divinglog »

Hello

Thank you for your interest! I wasn't aware that Suunto is discontinuing Movescount and SDM 5, is that confirmed? So they only have their mobile apps?
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 I can no longer sync our dive computers with DM5 and capturing the data available from Movescount, they send you your data in .fit format, that doesn't appear to be importable.
There is a .fit file import in Diving Log, but it has been only tested with Garmin .fit files. If you send it to me I can check to see if everything imports fine. You can try the "Garmin" import from the import section to see if it can already read the files.

Is this really the only format which can be exported from Movescount? No DAN export and no way to get dives back from the online website to Suunto DM? That's really bad.
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 I have all my data in both DM5 and sync'd with Movescount and can export that data in .SML or .SDE format.
No need to export, you can import directly from the Suunto DM database (DM4.db). The "Suunto DM4/5" import function in Diving Log will open in the correct folder where the DM4.db file is stored and you just have to select it.
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 Based on our situation, Will Diving Log 6.0 work on my WIndows 10 PC and her Macbook (Divelog Manager or DivelogDT)?
Yes, this will work. Dive Log Manager is the free version from More Mobile Software, Dive Log DT the payed version with editing capabilities. They also have an iOS app for iPhone and iPad. The logbook format is fully compatible with my Windows and Android apps.
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 Will the Suunto USB Sync Cable work to transfer dives from our dive computers into either my Windows 10 and her Macbook computer?
Yes
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 Is there an associated mobile app necessary to sync our data to our iPhones? (iPhone Dive Log developed by More Mobile Software - $14.00 in the apps store).
Yes, the iOS Dive Log from More Mobile Software (see above).
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 Do I need any other software to achieve my end result?
No. You may have to install Suunto DM to get the necessary drivers on Windows if Windows does not install them automatically for the USB cable. So keep a copy just for the drivers, but I have the installer as well if needed.
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 Can I import my wife's .fit files into Diving Log 6.0?
You can try the Garmin import which can read fit files, but I'm sure I have to modify it to read the files from Suunto. Just send me your .fit files and I'll have a look: info@divinglog.de
CWOLAW wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 Can I import my DM5 data from .XML or .SDE format into Diving Log 6.0?
You can import directly the DM4.db file from Suunto DM without exporting (see above). Let me know if you have any other questions or problems.

Kind regards,
Sven
CWOLAW

Post by CWOLAW »

Thanks Sven for your quick response!

I've attached the .fit files that were sent from Movescount for my wife's Moves data.

They only give you the option to export your Movescount data and send you the files via a link to retrieve the data, and this is what you get. Only .fit format files. I chatted with Suunto customer support and asked if another more usable format was available. They asked if they could get back to me via e-mail. I've not heard a sound from them.

As mentioned, I was able to get DM5 installed on my wife's Macbook, and was able to get my Cobra be recognized by DM5. However, I still am having issues getting it to connect to DM5 on my Windows 10 PC. It prompted me to install a Suunto USB Driver setup file, suuntousbftdi212_w10 which I've done multiple times, but it still won't connect the device to DM5. I plug the Suunto USB Link cable to the laptop, you can hear it "connect" the laptop via the audible tone you get when you plug in an external USB device, but the device manager shows an issue with the Suunto Sports Instrument USB Driver. Attempting to update the driver tells you the best driver is already installed.

As for Suunto Movescount, according to their website, they are ramping down movescount.com as part of their transition of digital services into the Suunto app. https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Content-pa ... ransition/
They don't show the Cobra dive computers are compatible with the Suunto App. https://www.suunto.com/en-us/Content-pa ... -services/

And as you note, there is no function in Movescount to export your data from there, other then to request they export it and send you the link to the export, which comes to you as .fit format. Only DM5 shows the ability to export to PDF, XML, SDE, DAN DL7. SML format is now greyed out.

As for Dive Log DT, is this the software that installs on Windows 10? I don't mind at all for paying for a fully functional and editable dive log. I do like to annotate my dive log with notes and other items of important historical information. I'm assuming Dive Log 6.0 doesn't do this, hence, I'd need Dive Log DT?

Thanks again for your insight and response!!!

R/ Steve
Attachments
2bbe689c-ac03-49ef-b55e-edf61c7c3a4e (1).zip
(17.14 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Steve

Dive Log DT is only for Mac OS, on Windows you just install Diving Log 6.0:

https://www.divinglog.de/english/download/index.php

Diving Log 6.0 is a full features desktop application which you can use to enter and edit all your data.

The *.fit files do import, but no meaningful data is imported. I will check them to see if there is any data included.

Kind regards,
Sven
CWOLAW

Post by CWOLAW »

Good Day Sven!

So, I purchased Dive Log 6.0 and installed on my Dell Laptop Windows 10. Install went smoothly and I was able to migrate my DM5 database into Dive Log 6.0. So far, so good!

However, there are two dives on my Cobra, and when attempting to sync them from the Cobra to the PC (Dive Log), it failes.
Connection: COM3 (no other choice) / Manufacture: Suunto / Dive Computer: Cobra

"Cobra not found, make sure it is connected and switched on. (DC_STATUS_TIMEOUT)"

Suunto Sports Instrument / Universal Serial Bus Controllers / Manufacturer: Suunto / Location: Port_#0002.Hub_#0001

I have uninstalled and re-installed the driver package multiple times (rebooting after each attempt), but the "Suunto Sports Instrument" USB Driver continues to show a "Yellow Triangle" and reports:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). {Bad Image} %hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact our system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x"

Driver Date/Version: 9/29/2014 Ver 2.12.0.0

I then deleted the driver. Ran the file that Suunto Prompts me to run to install the device driver "suuntousbftdi212_w10", and while that updated the driver to Ver: 2.12.6.0 dated 7/10/2015, the results and error messaged are the same.

I've attached the Device Driver Event Log for information if there might be anything in there useful.

Not sure where to go at this point. You mentioned you have driver package. Is it different than either of the two above?

Thanks in advance again!

R/ Steve
Attachments
Eventlog.txt
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
CWOLAW

Post by CWOLAW »

Not sure if this will be helpful, but here is the log file from DiveLog 6.0

00:00:000 INFO: 2021-06-28 16:54:42
00:00:000 INFO: Libdivecomputer version: 0.8.0-devel (14fd0296d45d17eec4a6dc4cd4a03f0ba379f719)
00:00:000 INFO: Diving Log version: 6.0.22.0
00:00:001 INFO: Windows version: Windows 10 ( | Build 19043), 6.3.19043
00:00:001 INFO: OnlyNewDives=True, FingerprintAvailable=False, LastDiveDate=9/30/2018 10:12:00 AM
00:00:002 INFO: Start download (Serial): Suunto Cobra
00:00:002 INFO: Open: name=COM3
00:00:003 ERROR: Access is denied (5) [in serial_win32.c:326 (dc_serial_open)]
00:00:003 ERROR: DC_STATUS_NOACCESS
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Steve

Sorry for the late response! Looks like the driver is not installed correctly, that's why you see the yellow triangle in device manager. Because of that, no COM port is created and thus the selected COM3 is probably not correct.

How did you install the driver package, which installer have you used? Do you know which Suunto DM version supports the Cobra? I have all Suunto DM versions, so we have to find the latest one that still supports the Cobra and hopefully contains a driver that is compatible with Windows 10.

If we cannot find a Windows 10 driver for the official Suunto cable, another possibility would be a 3rd party cable like that:

https://en.smartinterface.de/artikel.php?id=3&kat=1

According to their website, it is compatible with Windows 10 and Cobra.

Kind regards,
Sven
CWOLAW

Post by CWOLAW »

Good Day Sven! So, I've made some progress! After researching more information about the FTDI Drivers, I downloaded the current version of their Windows 10 VCP x64 driver Ver 2.12.36.2. (File: CDM v2.12.36.2 WHQL Certified dowloaded) and then extracted and placed them into a folder on my desktop.
https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/
I then manually updated the device driver from what was automatically being installed via the Suunto Link (file: suuntousbftdi212_w10), which of course was consistently failing. Suunto Sports Instrument (with the warning triangle) disappeared from the USB device list and now I had a COM5
First, I was able to install a USB Serial Port Driver which then allowed a USB Serial Port COM5 to appear in my Ports (COM & LPT) in Device Manager. This by itself did not resolve the issue. However, by selecting Update Driver for that Driver and going to the "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer", I navigated to the Folder that I placed the FTDI Drivers into. I then selected the ftdiport.inf file. This then showed Suuno USB Serial Port, but my Cobra could still not be found in DM5 or Dive Log 6.0. I went through the same manual driver update process and this time, selected file ftdibus.inf and my Cobra Dive Computer was immediately recognized by DM5 and executed a sync! So, I have it working now for sync'ing with DM. However, although COM5 now shows in the Dive Log 6.0 Connection box, when you hit "Download", I get an "Error: DC_STATUS_NOACCESS"

I'm not sure I want to mess with it much more in order to get Diving Log 6.0 to sync with my Cobra, since I now have a functioning DM5. But if you can offer any suggestions that would get it to work with Diving Log 6.0, I'd love to use Diving Log 6.0 moving forward since I've already purchased it and like the interface and features.

R/ Steve
CWOLAW

Post by CWOLAW »

UPDATE: So, even BETTER NEWS!

So, I'm an idiot! I completely forgot, that only one device/program can have possession of the COM Port at a time. This is why Diving Log 6.0 was failing to connect, because I still had DM5 running in the background. As soon as closed DM5, Diving Log 6.0 kicked off a sync!

Both DM5 and Diving Log 6.0 are communicating with my COBRA! Happy day for me!!

Thanks for all the time and effort on this!

R/ Steve
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Steve

Great to hear, I'm glad it is working now! No progress yet with the .fit files. They are not compatible with the Garmin import, but I'll see if they contain anything. But it won't be much more than a depth profile, I guess.

Kind regards,
Sven