iPhone Sync without iTunes

Discussions about the smartphone versions
MarkusEgger

iPhone Sync without iTunes

Post by MarkusEgger »

Hello!

I am currently evaluating the Diving Log software. I am already using the iPhone version and am thinking about getting the Windows version too. I am confused about how the synchronization with the iPhone works. Does one always have to go through iTunes to sync? Or can the iPhone and the windows version just sync over the web somehow (via some sort of server component)? I generally do not have the same computer with me that has my full iTunes stuff on me when I am off diving somewhere and I only carry a smaller netbook, so I would really just like to have different clients accessing my log, rather than doing an actual "sync" of data in the local file system.

Thanks
Markus
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: iPhone Sync without iTunes

Post by divinglog »

Hi Markus

Diving Log does not require iTunes, but it requires Apple Bonjour which is part of iTunes. But it is also available as standalone installer which you can install on your Netbook.

Once you've installed Bonjour (or iTunes) you can sync your iPhone with your PC via WiFi. Your PC can be connected via LAN cable to the same network, but your iPhone must be connected via WiFi. Then the sync will happen via a local server on the iPhone (no web server) in your local network.

You can test and try everything before you buy Diving Log with the fully functional test version.

Kind regards,
Sven