android

Discussions about the smartphone versions
onderduiker

android

Post by onderduiker »

Wow, that's great......the export from DL5 to the android app.
Rob Knapen does a great job with his app for the android.
Together with DL5 a perfect way to log my dives.

"In the future we want to include a better sync function which will then be added to the “Sync” menu of the main toolbar." :D :D

Keep on going 8) ............thanks !
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: android

Post by divinglog »

Thank you, I'm also very happy to have finally something for Android users 8) A new beta version should be available tomorrow:
Android.jpg
Android.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 15264 times
onderduiker

Post by onderduiker »

I will check tomorrow :)
Let me know if you want some feedback.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've uploaded a new beta:

Update from previous beta: Divelog.zip
Update from version 5.0.0: Divelog50Upd.exe
Complete Setup: Divelog50.exe

The sync function is now included in the Sync button of the main toolbar. Before using the import function, please make either a fresh export from the desktop or a backup from the latest Android Dive Log 1.3.2 to the storage card. Please make also an additional backup of your desktop logbook before using the sync function just in the case the import mess up your desktop logbook (this is a beta).

The sync dialog should automatically detect your connected Android phone and the correct location of the Dive Log folder. Please try to connect and disconnect your phone while the sync dialog is open to see if the dialog changes. The import function should merge any changes on your phone into your desktop logbook. Please let me know how it works.

Thank you,
Sven
onderduiker

Post by onderduiker »

I just updated verion 5.0.0. and played a bit with my Motorola milestone (android).
I takes me a while to figure out how it works :?
Or maybe I am doing something wrong.
First I connected my android and tried the sync. But DL didn't find my device. I checked in my explorer and my milestone was there, so that was not the problem. Then I checked my USB connection settings on the device and "portal and helpprogramms" was checked and I changed it to open the SD card.
Tried again and now my phone is acting as a memorydevice and that solved the problem.
DL recognized the android :)
I made a backup of my database (just in case). I added a fantasy dive on my device and tried to sync. But nothing changes on the database in DL. Then tried in the other way from DL to my android, but still no luck.
Than I go to exchange in the android dive log and I save to the storagecard. Not working, but after I disconnected the usbwire it worked. I reconnected and sync again in DL and after all the dive is visable in divinglog :)
In the other way from DL to my android works if I disconnect the device after the sync and use exchange in the android again to restore from the storagecard.

So if I am right the sync is always with an extra step trough the storagecard ?? Not very userfriendly ? (disconnecting the wire in between to get it work) Maybe am I doing something wrong, please let me know ?

Please give a bit more information how the sync is ment to be, because on my "old" windows device the sync was much more easy :wink: and I like my android so much more 8)

And by the way, my english isn't that well, so how can I check my spelling. On the moment the spelcheck is Dutch, how do I change that to English ?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I have no physical Android phone to test this stuff so I emulated everything only with an USB memory stick. The sync is done at the moment only via the sdcard. Diving Log saves the file to the sdcard, Android Dive Log reads this file from the card when you use the restore function. To sync back to the desktop you must create a backup in the Android DL to the storage card, Diving Log will import that and merge the changes into the desktop logbook.

This is unfortunately currently the only way to exchange the data with the phone. On Windows Mobile there was an API via ActiveSync to do this stuff. Maybe we find a better way in future via Bluetooth or WiFi, but at the moment it works only this way. Please remember also that the data formats are very different in both applications, so the sync will never be so tight as on iPhone or Windows Mobile where ther data format is identical between all 3 apps.

Diving Log will look for USB connected storage devices and for the folder "DiveLog" in the root of the device to recognize the phone. So the storage card must look in the Windows Explorer like an USB memory stick. But you can always click the blue link to browse to the phone if it is not recognized. Can you send me a screenshot of your Windows Explorer when the phone is connected the other way (the first connction type you did)?

Spell checker? I don't think this is a feature of the forum software, but more likely of your browser, so you must look somewhere in the browser settings to change the language. :)

Kind regards,
Sven
onderduiker

Post by onderduiker »

Hi Sven,
Thank you for your answer. Now it is clear for me, and I know the way I did was right way to sync.
Just installed my firefox all in english 4.0 beta 3 :D .........still is the spellcheck in Dutch :x

In my milestone I have 4 choises in the "usb connection"
* Portal & tools
* Windows media sync
* Memory card access
* Charge only

When I choose 1 or 2, I can see the android is present in the explorer.
But the only folders I can see are the folders you see in the screenshot. Fortunately "divelog" is not present.
While I am typing, I am thinking of something.......................and yep I am right. When I put a mediafile like a picture or something.......the divelog folder is visable in explorer with the first and the second option. But the only thing in the folder is the picture :(

Keep up the good working on this :wink:
Attachments
Screen2 small.jpg
Screen2 small.jpg (119.06 KiB) Viewed 15214 times
Screen1 small.jpg
Screen1 small.jpg (92.9 KiB) Viewed 15214 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you for the screenshots! It seems that "Memory card access" is the only working connection type.
WikdDM

Post by WikdDM »

I am a new HTC EVO owner and have found your software, I have noticed a few things, here is a screen shot of my screen when connected USB as a drive. I am running Android 2.2 on HTC EVO
HTC EVO Folders.jpg
HTC EVO Folders.jpg (95 KiB) Viewed 15160 times
I can not export from the Android Divelog app on the EVO, it says fail, there is no SDCARD\divlog\ folder

I am looking forward to helping you with this issue.
onderduiker

Post by onderduiker »

Maybe a dumb question, but did you installed Rob knapen dive log :angelic:
And did you try to make dir manual.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I've found this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/06/0 ... al-launch/

Maybe there is an issue with the sd card on the EVO so it cannot be accessed. Can you confirm that you have installed Dive Log on the phone and that it cannot save the backup to the storage card? I will point Rob to your post, maybe he can help.

Kind regards,
Sven
android_divelog

Post by android_divelog »

Hi,

I have no hands on experience with the HTC Evo but like Sven indicate there are some reports on the Internet on it having problems with accessing the SD card. I guess the Android Dive Log application could also be affected by this and in that case it will not be able to write the backup file to the memory card. Do you have similar problems with other applications? Perhaps you can try creating the divelog folder from your PC after mounting the device. Then unmount it and try to create the backup from Dive Log. Let us know how that goes.

Thanks,
Rob
WikdDM

Post by WikdDM »

I have all the software working great, but I have noticed something and do not know who to tell, so I did the android sync last night and all my dives say I am using Nitrox, is there amyway to change this other than one at at time
theojt

Post by theojt »

divinglog wrote: Please remember also that the data formats are very different in both applications, so the sync will never be so tight as on iPhone or Windows Mobile where ther data format is identical between all 3 apps.
Diving Log is an awesome app and additional mobile support could make it even better. Is there any chance of connecting with Rob Knapen to see if the formats could be made compatible? I think this is important - and not just for selfish reasons. Look at the poll of phones on this forum, even though the total number of responses are low, Android phones are clearly leading both the iPhone and WP7. This is also demonstrated in the comScore market share analysis recently conducted (May 2011).

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/l ... trong/2387

Android is rapidly becoming the market leader and momentum will only pick up as more Andorid tablets make it to the retail channel.

I'm sure there are other considerations but I would assume that as a business person you want to move with the market demand. Please consider working with Rob or developing an Android offering of your own so that we can enjoy the full mobile experience of Diving Log with proper and complete syncing and data support on Android.

Thanks for considering this possibility!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Tank you very much! I think Rob is already considering switching to the SQLite database format of Diving Log, which is also used on the iPhone. You can contact Rob directly and ask about the current state.

Kind regards,
Sven