DivingLog on tablets

Discussions about the smartphone versions
Swissdiving

DivingLog on tablets

Post by Swissdiving »

Hi Sven,

More and more people are starting to use tablets (iPad or Android etc.). They are brilliant for travelling, small, light and good battery life.

BUT there is one fly in the ointment!
I cannot download the dives from my dive computer with DL on a tablet (or smart phone for that matter). I have to carry a Windows or Mac Netbook/Notebook on the diving trip to do that.

Would it be possible to develop a version of DL for Android and iPad that allows the downloading of dives from the dive computers? I have an Acer Iconia and with Android 3.1 a larger range of usb devices is already supportet.

What are your thoughts?
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> OSTC N2 / 2201 <--
TnT

Re: DivingLog on tablets

Post by TnT »

I think direct downloading (using the libdivecomputer library) from a tablet or smartphone should be possible *if* there is driver for the usb-serial chip (ftdi, pl2303, etc) available. Android is probably the "easiest" in that regard, because it's based on Linux and thus the drivers already exist. They are just not build/included by default.

In case someone is interested, FTDI provides instructions to compile the kernel module: http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... ndroid.pdf
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
Swissdiving

Post by Swissdiving »

Yo tnt,
Wouldn't that mean the tablet has to be rooted?

HJ
Cheers,

Hansjoerg

--> OSTC N2 / 2201 <--
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hello

I can say for sure that it will never be possible on the iPad due to Apples restrictions. I think it could be possible on rooted Android tablets, but I do not have any plans to develop an Android app in the near future (I'm cooperating with Rob Lensen who develops Android Dive Log). Today Microsoft will showcase Windows 8, which is optimized for tablets and it is very likely that downloading dive computers on future Windows tablets should be possible, because it is full Windows. And I plan to develop a Windows tablet optimized app of Diving Log.

Kind regards,
Sven