WM5 smartphone support?

Discussions about the smartphone versions
xty

WM5 smartphone support?

Post by xty »

Does it support WM5 smartphone? I use Samsung i600. But when I try to install & run, it gives error:

File or assembly name 'System.Data.SqlServerCe, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=969DB8053D3322AC', or one if its dependencies, was not found.

I tried to install SQLCE 2.0, but it won't install with message:

Installation of Microsoft SQLCE 2.0 was unsuccessful. The installation file is not intended for this device.

I'm not sure if it's compatible with later version of SQL Server 2005 Compact edition
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Download the file divelogWM6.zip to your computer and unzip it, then copy the included Divelog.exe file to your Pocket PC into the Diving Log program folder.

This update should work with SQL Server 2005 Compact edition.

Kind regards,
Sven
xty

Post by xty »

I've done these on the device:

- Install .NET Framework 2.0
- Install MS SQL Compact 3.5 (sqlce.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB)
- Copy RemSqlCe.dll
- Install DivingLog
- Replace the DivingLog.exe as instructed

but the same error as above occurs. I guess that those .NET Framework and MS SQL Compact was not installed properly? Any help?

Code: Select all

PC Version: 4.0.11
PPC Version: -1

Device Name: WM_Administrat1
Windows CE Version: 5.1.525
Windows CE Name: Windows Mobile 5
Windows Version: 5.1.2600
Windows Name: Windows XP
Sync Setting: 2 = Standard
.NET CF Version: -1

ActiveSync: 4.5.5096.0
Windows Mobile Device Center:  Not Found
Rapi.dll: 4.5.5096.0
PPCBrowser.ocx: 1.0.0.1
dplib.dll (AppPath): 1.4.400.46
dplib.dll (SystemPath): 1.4.400.46
RemSqlCe.dll: 1.46.1700.4
Sync DLLs Compatible

PC RemSqlCe.dll: 116224 Bytes
PPC RemSqlCe.dll: 116224 Bytes
Filesize Identical

SQL Server CE: Not Installed
SQL Server 2005 Mobile: Not Installed
SQL Server 2005 Compact: Not Installed
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'm sorry, currently I'm not sure what the problem could be. Ihe interesting part is that non of the SQL servers is recognized by analysis tool:

SQL Server CE: Not Installed
SQL Server 2005 Mobile: Not Installed
SQL Server 2005 Compact: Not Installed

Do you install the SQL Server into the main memory or onto a memory card?
xty

Post by xty »

I have removed and reinstalled NET Framework 2 (NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab) and SQL Server Compact 3.5 (sqlce.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB) onto the Device (earlier it was to Storage), but still giving me the same error.

Ok, let's take a step back before we go to the application, NET Framework, or SQL Server's error.
Why the PPC Version returns -1?
I have no problem synching my Outlook contacts and installing applications through ActiveSync 4.5.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

The -1 is returned because the PPC version never run on this device. When it runs the first time it will store the information about the Diving Log version and the .NET CF Version in the registry so I can read them from the analytics tool. -1 is returned if this information is not available yet.

So I think it's only a SQL Server problem, the .NET Framework should be OK. Can you try to install this SQL Server version: sqlce20.ppc.wce5.armv4i.exe

Use it with the original Diving Log setup without the Windows Mobile 6 update as this is only needed on WM5 when using the latest SQL server.
Yuguar

Post by Yuguar »

Hi,

As the guy that started the thread says he is using Smartphone...

Pocket PC are only touch screen devices...AFAIK

I use HTC S730 Smartphone running WM6 Standard ...

Installed the app with out any of sql net mumbo yumbo and I can see icon I can run the program and it shows splash screen and then frezzes...and spits out an error as in Unespected error has occured in Divelog.exe Select Quit and restart app ...same error that I get when tryin to install apps for WM6 Proff (touchscreen) ...

Then I wiped it out from device and installed .NET CF 3.5 succesfully but with sql any of one I try ...no fun...says it is not intended on running on this type of device and Active Sync will install it when appropriate device is connected....

So I suppose that Smartphone does not support this Pocket PC version...

If ..ooo I wish a I am wrong...not so pls help :)

PS I get the same "window" as Samsung user in Divelog PPC info...with all the -1 es even with NET CF version ..wich is odd since I do have it installed and in list of apps if I want to uninnst (so deffin. it is on device) but PPC info does not see it :(
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Yuguar

When you have an WM6 device you don't need to install .NET Framework or SQL Server, because they are both pre-installed in the ROM. You ony need to install the normal setup and then copy after the installation the content from this divelogWM6.zip into the program folder on the smartphone. Then Diving Log should run also on a smartphone.

I'm sorry about these problems, but they are mainly related to the SQL Server and all these various versions. It's a very difficult landscape with all the different devices and ROM's.

I'm considering (or maybe have already considered) switching to a SQLite database for storing the dive data on Windows Mobile devices in future. I've made very good experiences during the iPhone development process and this format is very easy to use. This way on both, Windows Mobile and the iPhone, the same data format would be used. So I'm sure this experience will improve in future.

Sven
Alex

It worked perfect

Post by Alex »

It worked perfect with Sony Ericsson X1!

Installed the sofware and have exchanged the divelog.exe. Works perfekt without installing SQL or .net framework.

Thanks for your amazing work!

regards

Alex