First impression

Discussions about the Betaversion of Diving Log 6.0
erognlid

First impression

Post by erognlid »

Thank for the beta release.

I have just tested it for a few minute so this is just a first impassion.

Although the basic layout and look of the program is the same - it has a fresher look. I like the new icons - apart from the equipment. I think the one in V 5 is nicer. The user icon should probably be a diver not a man in suite. But non of this really matters.

When I first tried it my impression - wow how sluggish - I had a feeling that the performance was really bad compared to V5, but actually trying them side by side and timing a few thins like opening the logbook it was more or less the same.

One thing that I feel is sluggish is the animation on the statistics. I tried to turn it of and then it was OK. I would like a "Turn of all animation, for ever, permanently, never to be changed" option in the preference on the File menu.

I would like to able to select if a want the details buttons as their own buttons on the menu or as sub-buttons like its now.

Regards

Edvard
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: First impression

Post by divinglog »

Hi Edvard

Are you running it in a virtual machine or on real hardware? I see performance problems mainly inside a VM, but on real hardware the animations are fluid.

Thank you,
Sven
erognlid

Post by erognlid »

Am on HW not VM. The animation is mostly fluid, but take time - its the nature of animations - they are animated :) It was bad choice of word from my part. I just don't like animation in things like this, I like instant reaction when I press a button.

So like I said - I would like to be able to turn of animation with one selection - not on every chart or where ever there might be animations.

Edvard
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Edvard

Ah, thank you for the explanation! Good to hear that the animations are not sluggish, but just take time animating. I absolutely understand that you don't like animations and I was very careful to not include too many. I think it is a good idea to disable all chart animations with one click for all charts, I'll implement that in the next update. There are no other noticable animations beside system animations like dropdown and popup opening animations.
The user icon should probably be a diver not a man in suite.
Yes, I tried that, but they all looked ugly. I'll try again, but I'm not the best icon designer :cry:
When I first tried it my impression - wow how sluggish - I had a feeling that the performance was really bad compared to V5, but actually trying them side by side and timing a few thins like opening the logbook it was more or less the same.
Good to hear that it's okay. Version 6.0 is a WPF application, and those are usually a bit slower than Windows Forms or native applications. I tried my best to optimize everything, but cold startup time can be a bit slower, if no other .NET application was loaded yet.
I would like to able to select if a want the details buttons as their own buttons on the menu or as sub-buttons like its now.
Yes, this is something I was unsure about. I was waiting to get feedback about this, but you are actually the first one who is commenting this. Which one do you like better?

Sven
erognlid

Post by erognlid »

I would like to be able to Select witch buttons to have in a submenu and witch to have on the ribbon. There could be a option to right click on say dive site and Select "Show on ribbon" and then that button pops up there. I personally do not use buddy that much so that one works best for me as submenu thing. But other users might want to have that on the ribbon.

But if I would have to choose between submenu or no submenu I would have all buttons on the ribbon, and remove table, units and calculate - and only have them in a menu. I never use them, but they might be in heavy use by other users.

And don't stress about the icon - diver or suite its what's inside that counts :D
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

This is what I had previously for the user icon, but I found it too amateurish:
User32x32.png
User32x32.png (846 Bytes) Viewed 19152 times