Set Defaults

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
juice1113

Set Defaults

Post by juice1113 »

Is there a way to set defaults for each feild? Such as Tank type, size, water type, ect? Just got the program and love it already! Nice job! Thanks
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Set Defaults

Post by divinglog »

Thank you very much! You cannot set directly default values for new dives, but indirectly with the template function. Create a new dive either manually in the logbook window or by importing. Then open the logbook window, select an existing dive which contains most of the data you want to fill in and save as a template in the ribbon. Select the fields which are identically in all new dives. Then apply the template to one or more dives at once.

See also this video tutorial: https://www.divinglog.de/english/tutorials/templates.php
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Post by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

This seems like a bit of PITA.

Could you please set up a way of setting or applying defaults?
I don't want to pick Aluminium tanks and 0-300m altitude for every single dive... it's wearing out my mouse-button clicking finger!

Either have a default value set in the options, or perhaps an 'Apply Defaults' button that applies them in one click... Or perhaps two clicks, to allow you to tick/untick the default values about to be set...

Cheers
Rich.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Rich

That's what templates are for. Once you've created a template you can apply the defaults with one click to any dive. Make sure to watch the video. You can also use the table editor to quickly edit several dives at once and fill in the tank type for 20 dives in one step.

Cheers,
Sven
CheeseAndJamSandwich

I've been using the templates as you showed me... Works good.

But.

I'd still like to see a more elegant way of achieving this.

Could we have the ability to select the template at time of import (from our dive computer)?

It should remember the last selected template and also display all the fields that have been set in a table (just like in Save Template - Fields, but JUST the set fields)
There should also be an 'on-fhe-fly' template that isn't a 'saved' template like in current way of doing it, but just the set of defaults set and remembered from the previous import...
And there could be an edit button to easily go in and set any/all the fields that might need changing from the full list of fields...

Ideally, when importing, the import dialog box would have an option to use one of the templates (or none) already set, so we could just click OK and everything would be set correctly when looking at the logbook.

So, when going on a dive holiday, say, we'd go to import the dives after the first day, but edit the defaults with the details of the trip, the dive gear, the dive centre, etc... then we'd click OK to import those dives... After day two, we'd import the dives, and it'd just use the same, remembered defaults... day 3, same... etc. etc. The template wouldn't necessarily need to be saved as it's a one off trip...
Then when you get home, you go to your local dive club lake site perhaps, start importing, and select a saved template of the list before clicking ok to import....
And then you might go to your normal ocean dive site say, again, selecting a saved template off the list before clicking OK to import...
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, the template function needs some improvements. Those were some great suggestions, thank you!
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Have you had any time to look into the import defaults per chance?

I still find that i'm repeatedly typing in the same info... but mostly when i haven't gotten around to saving a template ;-)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'm sorry, the auto-template is not yet implemented, but last year I've added the option to edit existing templates, which makes things a bit easier.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

I could imagine my idea would take quite a bit of coding, no worries.

I couldn't actually work out how to edit the templates tho? What am i missing?
I have the 5.0.12.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Just hit the "Save Template" button again and you can overwrite an existing template with new data from another dive and you can check or uncheck the fields. That way you can update the stored data or your can change the included fields.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

I got bored the other day and created this! :-D
running defaults.png
running defaults.png (74.88 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
This what i was thinking the running defaults dialog box might look like. This is the last page of the import dialog.
This would allow the common details about the dives being imported to be set. (these details would be remembered and it'd show the same next time you do an import.

This would be used say if you're on a dive holiday and downloading your dives each night... most of the details would remain the same with only the dive site, etc needing to be entered... this would save a lot of typing/clicking/time...

E.G. Just click import, (new dives), next, download, next, next, finish, pick dive site, enter tank pressures, enter notes... DONE!
Day 4, buy new thicker wetsuit, so edit that detail, and it's good for all the future dives/imports until you change again...

The Save As Template & Recall Template features would be nice to have in addition, and could use the existing template functionality already inplace. So templates could be created or applied either at the import or on the logbook screen.
Having these saved as templates would be handy if you were diving in a week inland then a week offshore, then back inland again, offshore again.

But the main reason for the running defaults import page would be the total ease of setting up what doesn't change each dive and being able to change one or two things that would then become the ongoing defaults...