Bookmark events in Suunto computer

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Long John Silver

Bookmark events in Suunto computer

Post by Long John Silver »

Hi all,
I imported a DM4 database and I noticed I lost all my bookmark.
I could not find any reference in the forum.

Are bookmark supported?
Maybe only downloading them directly from the computer?

Thank you in advance
Long John Silver

Re: Bookmark events in Suunto computer

I've bought Diving Log but in the meantime I tried to dowload some dives directly form my Viper.
Unfortunately, bookmark events are not present.

Any info on this?

Bye
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Bookmarks are unfortunately currently not available in Diving Log. If there is some demand for this feature, I can add it in the next database update.

Kind regards,
Sven
Long John Silver

Ouch!!!!

I thought it was a limitation of demo version :(

I use bookmark to mark precisely gas switches.
On cave dives I mark important points of the cave or dive: coming back, several jumps, etc...

How I find these info on the profile?

Thank you in advance
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

For gas switches you don't need bookmarks. Gas switches are displayed in the depth profile and below in the gas profile:

https://www.divinglog.de/english/tutorials/tec.php

For the points of interest during your cave dives there is unfortunately currently no good solution right now. You could write the time and event in the comments and add them later when a bookmark feature has been added.
Long John Silver

Thank you for the reply.

I see what you mean but actually gas switches doesn't appear by magic. I have to insert them manually based on real dive.
While finding a nitrox50 switch on a profile could be easy. Its not the same for oxygen breaks. And if I have some problem delaying a switch. I cannot simply look at the profile.

For cave the same. I want to see later how much I took to reach a tunnel and so on... A bookmark it's a simple solution. I cannot remember all exact timing of my dive later. This is the reason to have a computer and bookmark.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I don't understand your issue with gas switches. There are 2 ways: either you do the switch in the dive computer while diving and it will be automatically imported and displayed. Or you add it manually in Diving Log afterwards. But you would have to do the same with bookmarks. Gas switches are displayed like bookmarks right in the profile, so I don't really see the problem here.

I agree that bookmarks make sense in some situations, but this feature isn't really that often requested and as far as I know only available in Suunto computers.
Long John Silver

divinglog wrote:I don't understand your issue with gas switches. There are 2 ways: either you do the switch in the dive computer while diving and it will be automatically imported and displayed. Or you add it manually in Diving Log afterwards. But you would have to do the same with bookmarks. Gas switches are displayed like bookmarks right in the profile, so I don't really see the problem here.

I agree that bookmarks make sense in some situations, but this feature isn't really that often requested and as far as I know only available in Suunto computers.
Hi Sven,

I try to explain it better...

I use a Viper or an Aladin Square in gauge mode for tek dives. Both of them have bookmarks.
I'm trying to explain that a bookmark is a nice way to remeber EXACTLY when you made a gas switch (GS).
It's not always possible to find the exact GS moment aftewards on the profile. A serious tech dive could have 6/7 GS. A cave dive dozen of it.

A bookmark (if available) is the simplest way to precisely mark it.

Otherwise, later on my desktop I can look at the profile and adding GS with some degree of error: FInding a EAN50 GS could be easy because I see when I reach the 21m depth (but I could have had some problem during the dive and the GS couldn't be done immediately).
Finding a GS on a medium complex cave dive could be just a dice throw. GS doesn't necessarily follow depth changes.
It's the same for oxygen breaks.

There's no polemic form my side, I'm just trying to share my tech dives knowledge for program improvements.
If you see my old old messages you will sse that I gave you some suggestion on tech dives features some years ago.

Best regards.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Now I understand because you wrote that you use both computers in gauge mode. But may I ask why? Why don't you use a tec computer in normal dive mode and actually switch the gases in the dive computer. That way the gas switch would be imported automatically at the correct time and the deco calculation of the computer would be correct. No need to add the gas switch later in Diving Log.

I understand your issue, but to be honest, you're the first who asks for bookmarks to remember gas switches. Normally people have tec computers and switch the gases during the dive in the computer. Then everything gets imported correctly including all gas switches. And you get other data like CNS, OTU, deco time, etc, which is also missing in gauge mode.

When bookmarks will be added to Diving Log you can use them for gas switches of course, but for now the only way to get correct gas switches is either using the function in the dive computer during the dive or write it down on a dive plan, which you probably have anyways if you use the dive computer in gauge mode.
Long John Silver

divinglog wrote:Now I understand because you wrote that you use both computers in gauge mode. But may I ask why? Why don't you use a tec computer in normal dive mode and actually switch the gases in the dive computer. That way the gas switch would be imported automatically at the correct time and the deco calculation of the computer would be correct. No need to add the gas switch later in Diving Log.
I understand your issue, but to be honest, you're the first who asks for bookmarks to remember gas switches. Normally people have tec computers and switch the gases during the dive in the computer. Then everything gets imported correctly including all gas switches. And you get other data like CNS, OTU, deco time, etc, which is also missing in gauge mode.
I never trusted a computer for htis kind of dives. Furthermore neither Viper or Square are able to manage such dives. Maybe other kind of computers like Shearwater & co. Anyway we enter in a flame territory :)
When bookmarks will be added to Diving Log you can use them for gas switches of course, but for now the only way to get correct gas switches is either using the function in the dive computer during the dive or write it down on a dive plan, which you probably have anyways if you use the dive computer in gauge mode.
It make sense.

Thanks
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Post by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

Can i add a +1 for the Bookmark functionality request?

I've been trying to get GPS positions from yesterday's dive. Where when we were next to a little sea mount, that the fish love, the boat happened to be right above us (which had my GPS recording the track), so a single click on my D6i recorded my bookmark.
Right now I'm syncing the time up with the GPS track on Homeport, but had to install DiveManager to get the bookmark.

I've used bookmarks for lots of things in the past (current speed, turns, navigation, etc.) and have been disappointed to not see them in Diving Log's profile.

It would be awesome to have this feature one day.

Cheers.
Buceador

Post by Buceador »

I reset my bottom timer (XDeep Black) after every gas switch. I also would like to see them back as bookmarks.

Thanks!
Storker

Post by Storker »

CheeseAndJamSandwich wrote:Can i add a +1 for the Bookmark functionality request?
+2.

I'm an underwater photographer, and I like to geotag my images. For UW photos, I add the depth as well, using the dive profile downloaded from my PDC. Unfortunately, the PDC clock isn't accurate enough, so on every dive I have to calibrate the camera clock with the PDC clock. It's easy: I take a picture of my PDC and add a bookmark. The time difference between the picture and the bookmark is used to offset the timestamps in the recorded profile to get the correct depth for every picture I take.

As it is now, without bookmark functionality on DivingLog, I have to use Suunto's Dive Manager 3 software to see my bookmarks. It works, but it's cumbersome compared to having the bookmarks showing up in DivingLog.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Bookmark support will be part of the next database update.
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Post by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

divinglog wrote:Bookmark support will be part of the next database update.
Great news, thanks!