Android and WP7 Signature block

Discussions about the smartphone versions
Grog

Android and WP7 Signature block

Post by Grog »

I was wondering if there were any plans to add a signature box to the android program (and the WP7 version as well, as I actually have both). I find that that all I have with me at the dive site is my phone and it would be very easy to get my buddy (instructor, etc.) to go ahead and sign off on it then. I know the iPhone version has this. It would be nice if these had it as well.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Android and WP7 Signature block

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I can only speak for the WP7 version and there will be for sure the signature field in a future version. I'm currently working on a big WP7 update including Dropbox sync to get the full logbook to the phone and a nice logbook hub which you will like (more about that soon in the blog). But there is unfortunately not yet data editing included and thus no signature feature. For Android you better ask the developer directly.

Kind regards,
Sven
Petrus

Post by Petrus »

I'm under the impression there will be a signature option on android as well, but not sure when it will be implemented
Grog

Post by Grog »

The developer did email me back and said that this is indeed in the game plan, but didn't give a time frame.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You can now also sign dives on your desktop using your mouse or a touch screen. For Windows Phone this feature will come early next year.

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=949

divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

For Windows Phone the signature feature is now also available:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1031

area51tazz

Post by area51tazz »

Any Android update on this? I emailed the developer, but no response :(

I dunno if he's even still developing it anymore...I can't remember the last time it updated.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'm also not happy about the Android situation right now. Unfortunately I do not know more than anyone else :cry:
racerx_

Post by racerx_ »

best dive log application, worst Android support.. :(
Grog

Post by Grog »

Still anxiously awaiting an Android update. If you notice from the forum vote, it shows to be leading over the other smartphone platforms (including iPhone). If the developer has discontinued support, is there a possibility of another developer stepping in (or even a total re-write)?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've contacted two other Android Dive Log developers I've found in the Google Play store, asking if they're interested in some cooperation, but never got a response. I'm also in contact with another Diving Log user and developer who has published a small Android app, but this is in the early stages and unclear if it comes to fruition.

I've also considered hiring a contract app development company, but an app like Diving Log would cost a five digit dollar amount and I would never be able to get that back with an Android app. Hiring another developer myself would cost probably the same amount.

The only solution is finding an Android developer who is willing to spend a lot of time and effort into creating a Dive Log app on his own, while it remains unclear how much he will earn with such an app on the Android platform. It seems like an impossible task :cry:
dhharris

Post by dhharris »

The developer of SCUBA LOG (Geoff Sutcliffe) has been very responsive. He does not have a Windows Version and has no reporting functionality. He DOES have a Signature block! Perhaps you'd give him a shout?

geoff@cs.miami.edu
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

He just contacted me and wel'll see if we can manage a working sync function.
area51tazz

Post by area51tazz »

I just switched back to iOS...this being one of the major factors (with me working towards being an instructor, I need functioning tools)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've just uploaded a first beta with an export to SCUBALog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1878