Android sync with Divemate and PC

Discussions about the smartphone versions
widiver

Android sync with Divemate and PC

Post by widiver »

Hi all
I am using the newest version of diving log and I recently installed DiveMate USB. The synchronization worked great from the pc to android using drop box. When I travel I would like to log my dives with android and then when I get home I would like to sync it back to the pc and then download the information from my dive computer. It looks like DiveMate doesn't have the exact same data fields as the pc version so I am wondering if I will end up losing data once the DiveMate log is sent back to the Diving Log pc version.
I have been using the apple version of the dive log on my ipod touch and the sync works great moving between the two devices and my dive computer. I would just like to carry one less device on vacation so I would like to use the android version if the sync doesn't cause me to lose data.

thanks
John
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Android sync with Divemate and PC

Post by divinglog »

Hi John

You're right, DiveMate is using a different logbook format than Diving Log or iOS Dive Log. But normally you won't loose any data, as long as you don't use data fields in DiveMate, which are not available in Diving Log (I don't know if there are any). As long as you enter only data which can be stored in Diving Log on the PC, you should be fine.

When you sync to the PC, your PC logbook is not replaced or overwritten. Only new dives will be added to the database and your existing dives won't be touched. A backup before the first sync is still not a bad idea, just to be sure.

Kind regards,
Sven
widiver

Re: Android sync with Divemate and PC

Post by widiver »

Hi Sven,
thanks for the information. I will be sure to have a backup the first time I try this but looks like it will work fine for my needs.
John