Failure on setup

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
inu

Failure on setup

Post by inu »

Get this error when running the setup file on Windows 7

Failure when trying to install file d:\Documents\DivingLog\Templates\(Blank).xml

I don't have a d: drive so I'm not sure what's going on there
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Failure on setup

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Have you changed sometime in the past the location of your user directory in Windows? The setup programm wants to install data into your Windows User Documents folder, normally C:\Users\Your Name\Documents, but it seems this directly is not correctly configured on your PC and points to the D:\ drive (which may have existed in the past).

If you know how to use the Windows Registry, you can also do the following:

- enter "regedit" in the Windows Startmenu search box and press enter
- Navigate in the registry editor to this location:

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
Check if the value for "Personal" points to your Windows Documents path. The current value is probably D:\Documents

Kind regards,
Sven
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Hi,

I'm also trying to install 6.0 and get this error message. "My documents" isn't on my C: drive, it is on a network drive, a NAS.

Is there a way to install 6.0 without moving "My Documents" back on the C: drive?

Thank you.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Philippe

The documents folder can be in another location, as long as this location can be accessed by the installer and Diving Log and the folder is correctly configured as the Windows documents folder. Please make sure the NAS is connected during setup (e.g. open the documents folder on the NAS in Windows Explorer). Then the setup should be able to copy the files to this folder on the NAS. Let me know if you have still problems.

Kind regards,
Sven
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Hi Sven,

The NAS is always on and available. My Outlook data files are on it, without any problems, with an automated email refresh every 5 minutes. It is connected, like my computer, in a 1000 Mbps switch.

The "My documents" directory is correctly configured in the Registry.

Yet, the install program refuses to write to it.

Thank you.

Philippe
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Philippe

Really strange, but the installer is a 3rd party tool, so I cannot say for sure it works with a NAS. Anyways, here you can download the application files, which you can extract into your application folder: Divinglog60.zip

Create a shortcut to the Divelog.exe file on your Desktop. When you start Diving Log, it should automatically download the document files to your NAS. Please let me know if that works for you.

Kind regards,
Sven
rightwinger59

Post by rightwinger59 »

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I just tried installing Diving Log 6.0 today, using the current link on the website, and had the exact same problem Philippe did: the install fails due to the installer's inability to detect and write to a network drive.

Like Philippe, I have my documents on a NAS, which is always on and always accessible. Windows Registry has been updated properly, so any attempt to create/write to the "My Documents" location will automatically be redirected to the NAS drive. The installer, however, doesn't appear to detect the network drive (despite its being mapped inside Windows 11), because if I try to change the location of the install, I cannot see (let alone select) a network location. This leads me to believe that the installer doesn't recognize the mapped network location.

Is there a workaround for this? I see that you linked a .zip file with the application files - not sure if there is a more recent version that I could use to get the application installed and try it out?

Thanks!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, you can download and use the zip file one thread above, it has been updated to the latest version.
rightwinger59

Post by rightwinger59 »

Great. Thanks!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

It is now possible to change the Diving Log documents folder. If you want, you can download this beta version and copy the content into the Diving Log 6.0 program folder. Then you can change the path in the menu File > Preferences > Folders:

Attachments
ConfigureFolders.png
ConfigureFolders.png (18.59 KiB) Viewed 9276 times