Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
serpentara

Shearwater Petrel Import Issue - Surface Interval

Post by serpentara »

Image from Petrel desktop
Image from Petrel desktop
Petrel Desktop Log.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
Hello,

The Shearwater Petrel has the ability to wait a given amount of time on the surface before ending the dive so that short surface intervals do not lead to multiple dives. You can set the delay between a few second to 10 minutes. Other computers also do this, such as the ATOM 3.1.

When I import the dive log from the Petrel, the 10 minute delay appears as part of my graph at the end of my dive. What is odd is that the overall dive time number appears to be correct, and is different than the total amount displayed on the graph (because the first 10 min of the surface interval is displayed) My Atom did not have this problem. The first 10 min of the surface interval were not displayed.

Is there any way to fix this? I don't want a large horizontal line at the end of each of my dives. It seems like you could just cut off the end of the graph based on the total dive time value.

Attached are images of the dive log from Diving Log 5.0 and from Shearwater Desktop.

Thanks
Attachments
Image from Diving Log 5.0
Image from Diving Log 5.0
Diving Log Petrel Dive.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Shearwater Petrel Import Issue - Surface Interval

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for the information! Can you send me a Shearwater Desktop logbook file to info (at) divinglog.de with such a dive profile? I'll have a look at the data how to cut the end during the import.

Thank you,
Sven
CheeseAndJamSandwich

Re: Shearwater Petrel Import Issue - Surface Interval

Post by CheeseAndJamSandwich »

This behaviour is the same when importing dives from an OSTC.
They have a default of 4 minutes delay after surfacing, so we get a similar 4 minute 'tail' on the end of profile.