Beta version 5.0

divinglog
Site Admin

Beta version 5.0

Post by divinglog »

In this forum you can discuss the upcoming beta versions of Diving Log 5.0. Before posting a bug please use the search function to make sure the bug was not already reported.

I wrote a lot about the new features since January in the blog. If you are not sure about a feature, please use the blog search or one of the links below:

Template Manager and equipment service reminder
Import Diving Log files (Exchange data between logbooks)
Background infos about version 5.0
Release Candidate 1 (Information about RC 1)
Profil features and more (Sort logbook, profile functions)
Autofill country and city/island (How to make things a bit easier)
Logbook Layout, Part 2 (where is the working pressure, SAC rate and air consumpution?)
Window Management (how can I open sub windows inside the main window?)
Detailed data windows (Country, City, Site, Buddy)
Import into existing dives
Printing and Report Designer
Calculation Tools
Location, Buddy,... statistic (Tree Browser)
Logbook Table (I want to edit several dives at once)
Statistics
Logbook Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5
FranzXR

Re: Beta version 5.0

Post by FranzXR »

Hi,

in version 5.0, will you implement a feature where I can track multible profiles for the same dive? I asked for that in the past, but in vain. Usually I have two dive computers with me and I want to be able to store both profiles for the same dive and I want to be able to overlay them in the graph, just in order to be able to see the differences.

Regards
Franz
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Franz

Yes, this was requested a few times in the past, but not very often. It is technically some effort and not trivial to implement the display functionality and to store additional profiles in the database. And I personally don't see much value of such a feature comparing to the effort to implement it.

When you carry 2 dive computers the profiles will look almost identically. You can try it by importing the same dive from both computers and switch in the logbook back and forth while displaying the profile. If you want you can email me such a Diving Log logbook file which contains the same dive from different computers so I can better see the differences myself.

I don't say that I won't implement this feature anytime, but unfortunately I cannot give this at the moment a high priority. There are so many things to work on and my to-do list lasts for years, I'm sorry :cry:

Best regards,
Sven
bowlofpetunias

Post by bowlofpetunias »

Hi sven

You have done an amazing job on version 5, I am really enjoying the versatility and search and statistical functions as well as the layout.

I have a problem with my log book ... every time i display the log book, or edit a dive and save the changes i get an error "Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'ID=' " (see attachment)

I have tried to isolate what is causing the error but have been unable to do so. I erased the first half of the dives and the error disappeared, I then erased the second half of the dives assuming the problem was in the first half) and the error disappeared.

please find attached a jpg of the error message, i tried to attach my log book but it did not seem to want to go (it is 16Mb)

Thanks
Greg
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 77074 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Greg

Thank you very much for your kind words, I'm really glad you like version 5.0 :)

I think there is a problem with your database file. You can use the compress database function in the file > mainteance menu to reduce the file size. The side effect of this is, that it can fix various database problems, so maybe the error will disappear already after this function. If not, then zip the logbook file and email it to info@divinglog.de

Thank you,
Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Sven, one other issue I have found (by accident)...if you make no other choices except select/deselect equipment, there is no notification that there was a change when you click on another dive in the log book viewer.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Andy
Thank you, I've fixed this now.
wvd_vegt

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi,

As for the MDI interface, have you considered a docking approach like Dockpanelsuite at https://sourceforge.net/projects/dockpanelsuite/

It's based on MDI but lets you show and dock windows on all sides.

I've integrated it into one of my applications and it was litle more work than to create a new Dockign Form class with some helpers in it.
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

Yes, I have considered using such a docking system for the MDI windows and it is still on my schedule. Thank you for the link, I'll defenitely test this project. I'm using the Infragistics suite which has a simillar control included, I'll see what the best approach is. I want to make sure that this feature is optional and that the window system I currently use is still possible.

Best regards,
Sven
wvd_vegt

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi

Ok, althought the docking suite contains some bugs, it really did miracles for my app (a heavy mdi user). It also allows you to dock multiple windows at the same spot and have them autohide (saves a lot of deskspace). If you seriously intend to use the docking suite, mail or pm me and i'll send you my fixes (only one or two but they caused me a lot of debugging).

The problem I always had/have with 4.0 is that after dive the maximized logbook is restored and is floating again. A Dockign suite helps. It's maybe also nice for some of your dialogs like stats, buddies etc (you could allow drag & drop fo diving locations and buddies). Basically you can have more open windows without them taking screen space. The Dockingsuite also allows for floating windows outside the application. Dialogs are modal and disallow you to look into for example other dives.

What i did was write a Form derivate (talking DotNet) and have it implement the interface neccesary to dock. Them I just replaces some classes in the existign source and i was ready. Mimicing the classic MDI with it is a bit hard as you can disallow docking but undock windows are allowed to be outside the parent window.

One thing I'm (still) disapointed with it sthe trio of country/place/diving location. You should make place and country dialogs that are accessible from the diving location (so you get a tree like structure of countries with places and divinglocations). Now i always have to thing oh which place belonged to this divespot? So I think the current trio approach should not make it into the next beta.
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

Thanks for the further explanation! Regarding the trio issue you've mentioned. In the current release it is possible to select just the dive site in the logbook window from the dropdown (or by typing the first few characters) and the country and city will be filled in automatically. This works in 99% of all cases.

All resizable windows of version 5.0 can be displayed either outside the main window, or as MDI child. You can configure this in the settings dialog.

Sven
wvd_vegt

Post by wvd_vegt »

Hi,

The autocomplete works nice!

For country, place and location it now works as it should, altough I would prefer to be able to edit the trio through a single dialog (location where I would be able to add city & country from picklists). Because i wonder what happens if data is not 100% correct (so have a diving spot that is accidently used in two locations). I must assume that you try to look in the database for trio's already there. Better would be to offer to correct the data (if it's not consistent) or give a warning on opening the logbook.

Buddies did not work 100% correctlty for me (but maybe it';s my typing). I would like to see the dialog redesigned a bit so it's easier to see which divers have already been selected (perhaps move them to the top of the list!). I would like autocompletion on subsequent buddies too (if not to hard, I did some work on autocompletion so know it's not that easy).

I also would love to see a ribbon on the mainwindow so you could have a maximized (but mdi) logbook browser. Btw the large rond button in the top left corner normally holds a menu. I thing the ribbons could then merge, freeing a lot of desktop space. The current mdi mode takes up to much space on ribbon and menu/toolbars.
Wim van der Vegt
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Wim

For the auto completion I always look from the end of the logbook, so the last combination of the 3 items is used. When you use the same dive site with different cities, the last one will be used. When you create a new combination, the first time you have to set all 3 items manually. After the first dive is save, you only have to select the dive site and country and city will be filled int automatically.

Sven
Hackric

Post by Hackric »

V.5 looks like to be an excellent version! I am very happy to have bought Diving Log.

In the equipment section and the personal information section, would it be possible to enter manually the dates?

There is a bug in the personal section, in the Spam, when you click Edit, the software shut down.

In the dive log, it would be good if we could add some labels in the profile, to explain what happens for instance if you have to go up.

To register in the forum, the spam checker in french does not work!

Thanks,

Ced.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Ced

Thank you very much!
In the equipment section and the personal information section, would it be possible to enter manually the dates?
Yes, this is a bit odd. I have to use modified date pickers here, and I also don't understand why it is not possible to enter a date manually. As soon as a date is selected, it is possible to edit it manually. I try to fix this in the control.
There is a bug in the personal section, in the Spam, when you click Edit, the software shut down.
Perfectly, good catch, thank you for reporting this! It happens only when there is no certification yet, so I disable these buttons now when the list is empty.
In the dive log, it would be good if we could add some labels in the profile, to explain what happens for instance if you have to go up.
Yes, this will be part of the database update, then I can add this feature.
To register in the forum, the spam checker in french does not work!
Thank you, I missed this after the last forum software update. I'll fix that, too

Thanks for the great feedback and bug reports!
Sven